Digital marketing is the need of the hour for businesses today. No matter which industry you belong to, it is important that you exploit the potential of digital marketing and get your business out there so that your prospective customers can see what you have on offer.
In this post, we are going to talk about how to use Google Ads, digital marketing, how to do keyword research with Google AdWords keyword tool, and more! This post can serve as a free digital marketing course for you to learn digital marketing with Google Ads.
What is Google Ads?
Let’s start with the basics – what is Google Ads. If you have had even very limited exposure to the world of digital marketing and keyword research, you must have at least heard about Google Ads. Google Ads is an online advertising platform from Google. On this platform, advertisers can pay to display their small ads with service offerings, complete product listings, add video content and even get app installs within the Google Ad network.
Types of Ads
There are basically three types of ads available on Google.
- Search Ads
- Display Ads
- Video Ads
How to set up a Google Ads Account?
Before you start setting up your Google Ads account, you must evaluate whether you are actually ready for it. Here are the things that you need to have, before taking the Google Ads leap.
- A well designed, relevant, functional website
- You have time and money for a long-term commitment
- You have dedicated human resource available for PPC
Follow the steps below to setup your Google Ads account:
- Go to Google Ads
- You can set up your account with an existing email address or create a new one
- Once your account is set up, go to settings
- Select your time zone and currency preferences
- Set up the billing information
- Choose your preferred payment option
- Automatic payment, where you are charged once you have reached your billing threshold or 30 days after your last payment (whichever happens first)
- Manual payment, where you prepay Google Ads and the campaign charges are deducted from the prepaid amount. Once the amount in your account is exhausted, all campaigns stop automatically
How to find keywords that suit your business?
Before you decide to run an ad campaign on Google Ads, it is important that you know what keywords are best suited for your business. If you end up running an ad campaign with the wrong keywords, all that money you have invested will go to waste. For example, let’s say you are an auto insurance agency, and you choose an insurance policy and insurance agencies in Chicago as the keywords, chances are you may get a large number of clicks from people who came looking for life insurance, home insurance or health insurance. Start counting your losses!
Let’s try and understand how to do keyword research for your business.
- List out relevant topics
- Come up with keywords for each topic
- Explore related keywords
- Combine head terms and long-tail keywords
- Conduct a competitor ranking analysis
- Use Google AdWords keyword planner
How to use Google Ads to set up an ad campaign?
Now that you have everything ready, it is time to start your first ad campaign. Here are the steps to create your first ad campaign on Google Ads
- Sign in to your Google account
- Go to Google Ads
- On the left, in the page menu, click on ‘Campaigns’
- Click the + (plus) button and select ‘New Campaign’
- Select one or more goals
- In case none of the goals is a fit for your campaign, you can choose ‘Create a campaign without a goal’s guidance’
- Select a campaign type, then click ‘Continue’
- Select your campaign setting, then click ‘Save and continue’
And you are all set to go!
This is an era of digital marketing and Google Ads is one of the most powerful tools for acquiring new customers. However, it is important that you plan your campaigns well, otherwise, you may end up spending way too much money without much of an ROI to show for it.
Hence, it is important to supplement what you have learned here, try out practical ideas, test them and then optimize them frequently for better results.